Slow down and save a... GALLON OF GAS

Thursday, April 3, 2008

We have all seen these signs on our nation's interstates imploring the driver's of America to "Slow down and save a life." However, we all drive our automobile's speeds grossly disproportionate to what the Government has deemed a safe traveling speed. Are we so disenfranchised with our fellow men and women that we ignore these signs thus ignoring our ability to save a life?

Unlikely, we are all just caught up in the fast and furious pace of today's society. However, it is well documented that our fuel economy will increase if we drive slower. While each vehicle reaches its optimal fuel economy at a different speed (or range of speeds), gas mileage usually decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. As a rule of thumb, you can assume that each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $0.20 per gallon for gas.

As an experiment, I drove "The Beast" uptown to meet Alyssa for lunch. I usually make the trip at speeds of anywhere between 65-85 mph. However, today I made the whole trip without traveling faster than 65 mph. It was actually very calming. We shall see what prolonged results my experiment has.

Which brings me to my next point. Observing the speed limit is also safer. As I was driving the speed limit (interstates and side streets), today, I noticed that had I been involved in an accident I would have likely been unharmed. 30 mph IS SO SLOW, but again very calming. I have decided that, if we all drove the speed limits assigned to the side streets, automobile accidents would fall by 70-80%. Honestly, at those speeds you would have to try to hit other cars in order to actually be involved in a collision.

I challenge you all to drive the speed limit. The benefits to your wallet and life far out weigh the ability to test the limits of your 4 cylinders.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to let you know that I took your advice and drove to work at 25 mph today (really making it count you see). Although I'm sure I'm saving on gas, it did take me 3.5 hours to get there. But it's all worth it just to save a couple bucks.

Jimmy White said...

Mr. S.: Over the long run those couple of bucks will add up. Additionally, I suggest you move closer to your place of employment (75+ miles is a stretch), or properly observe the speed limit on the highways between your home and work.

Anonymous said...

If people were more observant when they drive they could save too. Keep scanning the road up ahead to see whether the next trafic light you are approaching is red, and if so, don't waste your gas by speeding up to it. Almost no one out there drives in this gas-saving way. Coast up to red lights instead of gassing it up to them, and you will see other people speed up to get around you just to stop at the light. Then you pull up next to them very slowly because you were coasting, and waive hello. Dumb-ass

Anonymous said...

Mr. Smar t. ass: A 3 hour commute is a little extreme, don't you think. Why don't you move closer to your workplace? That would really save $. I ride my bike or walk to work everyday.

Jimmy White said...

Anonymous: I am a big fan of the coast to the red light theory. Also, I find myself laughing at those drivers around me who speed up to the red light. I always find myself saying to them, "Race you to the red light."
I envy your ability to walk/ride your bike to work. If we lived closer to the city that, too, would be feasible for us.

Anonymous said...

Mr. White (and anon), I took both of your advice and I moved next to where I work. Despite the city ordinance in San Fransisco not allowing for cardboard boxes to be maintained as a shelter, I showed them your blog entry and they decided to let me stay. Pure logic prevailed!!!

Thank you very much and I look forward to saving mankind under my new arrangements.