Cinco/Cinco/Dos Mil Ocho

Monday, May 5, 2008

Happy Cinco de Mayo! As important to Mexican Americans as Christopher Columbus Day is to Italian Americans, however, with a tad bit more drinking and a little less genocide.

Misconcepton of the day: Cinco de Mayo is not Mexican Independence Day. In fact, The 5th of May commemorates an initial victory of Mexican forces led by General Igancio Zaragoza Sequin over French forces in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Mexican Independence day is celebrated on September 16th.

On a lighter note, the theme of the day is love. When we were in American Eagle today I watched this Dave Matthews video (LOVE IT!):



On top of this, I want to slather on some more love. The movie of the day is Lars and the Real Girl. This movie helps you to realize that no matter how counter cultural you act all you really need is LOVE.

To echo Di, the birds in Charlotte are acting very odd. First, dive-bombing birds. Second, there is a flightless bird (although, I think it should be flying.) chilling in the bushes in front of my house. Third, a similar flightless bird totally stepped to me as I was meandering from the pool to la casa. When I say stepped, I mean flying a "B line" right at me then coming in for a landing mere feet in front of me and finally blocking the path so that I had to adjust my ingress to his egress. Fourth, bird fights. Phew! If we had earthquakes, I'd say we were due for one, buuuuuut we don't. Therefore, I'd say Hitchcock is calling.

In honor of this special day, It is time to highlight a present day revolutionary:
Subcomandante Marcos.


0 comments: