The Jimmy White Gambit

Thursday, July 31, 2008

It may come as a surprise to most that I enjoy a good super hero movie now and then. As I stated before, my preference is for one blue tight clad red cape wearing alien from Krypton. However, there is another...





NO NOT WOLVERINE... Wolverine is a chump compared to Gambit (stay tuned for Halloween pics of my own take on Gambit).

My fan boy excitement for this film comes merely from a rewarded patience that I have maintained since THE YEAR TWO THOUSAND... THE YEAR TWOOOOO THOUSAND (shout out: Conan O'Brien)! For those unaware, Gambit (real name Remy LeBeau) is a Cajun mutant heralding from the great city of New Orleans, LA. He has the power to commute kinetic energy into potential energy with explosive consequences. He has two weapons of choice: a deck of cards and a bow staff. He is one of the most popular mutants of the X-Men, but has been absent from all 3 films (X-Men 2000, X2 2003, X3 2006)!!!!

Until now... He will personally be manifest in this movie by the actor Taylor Kitsch a.k.a Tim Riggins from the ailing TV series "Friday Night Lights."

Now that we are all on the same page, Taylor's performance as Gambit can be seen in this footage from Comic-Con 2008 (just look for the playing cards!).

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT (shout out: Monty Python):

  1. IS THAT GRAVE ROLLING I HEAR?

    There is a cemetery, (Founder's Park) in uptown Charlotte, where the bodies of Charlotte's founders rest (tombstones and all). It is quite a beautiful green space, but it has gone from a plot of hallowed ground to a dog park. There is just something disconcerting about walking a dog in a cemetery, letting said dog piddle on another person's grave marker, and then allowing, again, said dog poo 6 feet above where those who have come before us rest. I am still of the habit of walking around the area where a body lay while in a cemetery, thus it just blows my mind that these uptown residents would allow their canines to defecate all over their founder's graves. These are the same people trying to put the kibosh on a Coyote Ugly and a Hooters. I'm sure the founders are proud!

  2. GOOD INTENTIONS

    How do you know when to stop and help someone on the road? Does it depend on how many people are there? gender? mechanical issue? age? How many of the poor can you serve in one day? Should you carry around bottled water for drifters? Money for pan handlers? Food for the hungry? Conversation for the lonely?

    The need is overwhelming! I figured it last night that if I stopped and helped every person I saw who needed my charity between my office and my home, I would not make it home until the latter part of the evening. It is personally difficult for me to help one and then walk by the next ten. I need help fighting this fight and the City of Charlotte (boushy uptown residents supplied with the infinite wisdom of selfish people) has already taken themselves out of the running. Charlotte has taken it upon themselves to begin citing homeless people who are lining up for food distribution on the city's fringes. Kudos Charlotte! DESPICABLE!

    Any who, God, I pray for the wisdom to help the most needy among my community that cross my path. Help me, my friends, and my family to serve those who are referred to as "the least of these" with the courage, resources and intentions fueled by your Gospel. In Your Name, I pray. Amen.

0 comments: