Hand in your homework...

Saturday, March 22, 2008

So, who is ready for a revolution? I cannot think about/read The Grapes of Wrath without wanting to just Rage Against the Machine (hence, assignment numero due).

It seems too commonplace that the people of our world are victims of oppression (financially, physically, emotionally, etc...). Whether it is by Big Government, Big Business, or Big... Anything, history has shown us that benevolence is a trait not often concurrent with power and money.

However, there are a few who have dedicated their lives to balancing out the equation. Some with money: Bill & Melinda Gates. Some with fame: Bono. Additionally, some with power: (insert pious political official). Charity is the great equalizer.

I have attempted to be more charitable in my own life. Not only in my giving but in my living. I have tried (and am still trying) to adjust my prejudices against those who are "worse off" than I am. If that means handing out bottles of water to the transient on a highwayexit ramp, or helping the homeless combat veteran with some bus fare, or even paying for the groceries of the single mother fumbling for enough money to pay for said groceries; than, believe me, that is the least I can do. It is our duty to help "the least of these," by rejecting the stereotypes and prejudices of society and getting back to a Steinbeckian way of life.

When is the last time you knocked on your neighbor's door and asked to borrow a cup of sugar?

Especially now, in this Easter season, when we celebrate the Resurrection of the Greatest of All Counter Cultural Rage Against the Machine Revolutionaries, Jesus Christ (more on this in a later blog); we too should follow His teachings of charity and love in order to build us up and through us the communities we live in.

I pray that you can all find love in your heart for your fellow men and women regardless of race, citizenship, or social class.

Until next time... Peace, Love, and Rosary Beads.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This should have been your first blog entry. Very nice JA. I can't wait for more... finally I get to berate you for not blogging every freakin' second of the day.

Revenge is sweet and it is mine!!!

Mo-Pie said...

Sweet!

Anonymous said...

What?!?! No reply from the owner of this blog? Where is the interaction?! Where is the reader support?!