Hooray! Something NEWS worthy.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

WOW WOW WOW... that's right, 3 WOWs!
For one, I found something to write about.

For twosies, I do not want to be a TV anchor/reporter when I grow up. Honestly, I thought cops and teachers had it rough considering their pay, in relation to their profession, but this story out of Erie, PA (born and raised... on the playgrounds where I spent most of my days...) is the "beez-neez."

Get this...



"(Jennifer) Taylor said her annual salary at WSEE started at about $24,000, and she was making roughly $26,000 a year when she left in May. She declined to reveal her Toledo salary."It was hard to leave (Erie), but I felt like I learned all I could there," said Taylor, who has family in northeastern Ohio. "It was always my intention to move on."But it's also hard when you come into a job and you know that a manager in fast-food is making more than you are and you have a college degree."

Turns out...

"A 2007 Radio-Television News Directors Association and Ball State University survey shows that the median pay for television reporters in a market the size of Erie's is $24,000 a year. For anchors, median yearly pay is $45,900.By contrast, median pay for an assistant manager at a U.S. fast-food restaurant -- the job former WSEE reporter Taylor referred to -- is $25,775, according to PayScale.com, an Internet site that collects data on employee compensation nationwide."

If you subtract the money it cost for the degree to become a broadcast journalist and then compare that to the upward mobility of the average committed-to-the-fast-food-industry employee, I would gather that the "Hamburglar" is more likely to come out on top of this "Dollar Menu."

Just when you thought the people you see on TV were livin' it up Diddy style... AAAAAANNNHHHHHHH... the correct answer is they are just like you and me, except someone does their hair and makeup... ooooh, and the craft services... mmmmmm, catering...

SEACREST OUT!

0 comments: